Google admits that age is a poor predictor of consumer behaviour. Intent beats identity.

As we’ve long maintained, demographics rarely align with user intent. Now even Google has weighed in.

According to new research from Google reported here in Adweek, marketers could be missing as much as 70 percent of potential mobile shoppers by not understanding what they’re searching for at any given time.2015-12-21_11-06-40

One example; only 60 percent of baby-product purchases come from households with children. The remaining 40 percent could be grandparents, cousins or friends.

One search ad agency executive was quoted as saying that search can help identify the kind of person who’s doing the searching. For example, if someone searches the phrase “store my stuff,” they might be transient (such as college students with little attachment to their belongings). However, if someone searches “store my valuables,” it might be someone who is more established in life.

“Intent beats identity. Immediacy trumps loyalty” according to Google.

The same thinking applies to marketing communications in general. In 2016, marketing will become age-agnostic – according to a Communications Trends Report Hotwire PR released last month.

Quoting the report, Marketing Insider writes that 50 year olds can be as knowledgeable and savvy as a 20-something when it comes to the latest technologies. And likewise, a 20-something may be as big of a vinyl junkie as 50 year-old vinyl collectors.

It’s these interests (personal passions, values and hobbies) that pique their emotional engagement and attention that your marketing efforts need to focus on.

Could 2016 be the year!? The tipping point at last?