Older consumers in Asia Pacific are in line with global trends in social networking, revealed in an analysis of comScore data across thirteen APAC countries. Download the SilverMatters report here.
- Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Australia, (about a third of all countries surveyed) – have the highest percentage of mature internet users logging on to social networking sites.
- Due to their population sizes Japan and China make up the bulk of the 55+ audience numbers accessing social sites.
- Just three countries – Japan, China and Australia – account for 83% (146,376,000) of 175,360,000 monthly visits to networking sites.
- On a monthly basis, 55+ users from Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia chalked up the highest number of visits (25 to 29 visits) to networking sites.
Why so hot?
A recent study among the 50+ by AARP reveals that among those who access the Internet, 37 percent used social-networking sites. Why do they join?
- 62 percent do it to connect with their children
- 36 percent to connect with their grandchildren
Online channels, including social networking sites have become an important means to communicate with this market. Ignore at your peril.
Thanks to comScore for sharing this data.